Land of one

Not too long ago a young man from my generation, upon hearing me debate about U.S. government issues, said to everyone in the room, “Hey, look at the Mexican talking about American politics.” After that slap to the face, two thoughts hit me: One, I’m not Mexican, but thanks for reflecting your ignorance. And two, certainly more important, did he just say that? I tell this young man that I am from Miami, Fla., a land of tall palm trees, warm seas and a slight breeze that lets you know you are home. I tell him that in this home, and anywhere else for that matter, his words of poison are not welcome. And so I leave it at that.

On another fateful occasion, our paths crossed again. As I spoke to a fellow Latin brother of mine in the tongue our fathers use, this same young man said, “Stop talking in gibberish.” My body became numb, and I felt…concerned. Concerned because ignorance and racism weren’t just on pages 73 and 85 of my history book, but that I was now staring right at it. I imagine my grandfathers, one from Cuba and the other from Argentina, fighting for what was right in a time when the difference between right and wrong meant something. They have all come and gone, but each left their mark. They say to continue the fight for freedom.

As I regain my senses, I look at the vacant, misguided young man. With the calm voice of tall palm trees, warm seas and a slight breeze, I offer the young man a message. I offer a message of hope. Yes, there are white people, black people and everything in between. Yes, we speak different languages. But under the sun we are the same. Here, where we stand, is the land of one.

Gustavo Rearte Jr. can be contacted at g.rearte@umiami.edu.

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...