All-American Rejects rock out

The All-American Rejects had us worried there for a while. The public was sure that the band who brought us the ever-catchy “Swing, Swing” would be a one-hit wonder when other singles on their first album flopped, but the boys are back in town with part deux of their energetic pop-punk career. Move Along opens with jarring guitar chords and lead singer Tyson Ritter’s characteristic howl in their first single, “Dirty Little Secret” that, despite the song’s sordid message, manages to creep into the hearts of listeners.

For the majority of their album, the Rejects can do no wrong. Their lyrics contain the right mix of bitterness and fun to appeal to the pop-punk audience, and instrumentals tie the songs together into tidy, emotion-riddled packages. The pace quickens and slows in well-spaced intervals that make the album go down easy in one listen.

The band’s strength lies in their ability to balance piercing, poignant lyrics with upbeat background music that can make even the most heart-wrenching songs tolerable compared to traditional emo-the oft-depressing, slower cousin of the pop-punk genre. Screeching guitars and pounding drums such as in “I’m Waiting” lend Ritter’s voice the appropriate support to convey pain without overbearing angst. However, when songs lack the acrid tone that dominates the album, AAR truly shines, such as in “Dance Inside.”

AAR is at their best in the rocking tunes that become their singles, but as a young band, they have room to grow. In Move Along, they’ve demonstrated their capacity to do so, which may be the key to the stardom they missed upon their debut.

Hannah Bae can be contacted at h.bae@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...