Elsewhere – New Google digital library hits copyright roadblocks

The Stanford Daily (Stanford)

(U-WIRE) STANFORD, Calif.-Last December Google announced its plan to team up with leading universities and public libraries around the country, including Stanford, to provide instantly searchable copies of library books to all of its users. Along the way, however, this digital library ran into some legal roadblocks.

Publishers have argued that by scanning copyrighted material, Google is violating U.S. copyright law. Google, however, argues that their use of the copyrighted material falls under the “fair use” doctrine.

Colette Vogele, also a fellow at the center and head of the firm Vogele and Associates, explained that fair use is a murky area in copyright law.

According to Vogele, there is a four factor balancing test used to decide if something falls under the fair use clause. These criteria include how much of the work was used, the nature of the use, whether the use was for commercial or non-commercial purposes and whether the use will interfere with the potential market of the copyrighted material.

To adhere to these factors, Google will not make the entire text of copyrighted materials available to the public. When a user searches for a term in the text of such copyrighted books, Google will only show the specific passages in which the term is found, along with links to where the user can buy or borrow the book.

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...