UMNEWS – Hurricane efforts continue with ‘vision van’

The University of Miami’s Bascom Palmer Eye Institute is making efforts to contribute to hurricane relief projects by sending medical support to the Mississippi and Louisiana areas that were affected by Hurricane Katrina. The 40-foot bus will travel fully equipped with prescription glasses, sunglasses, contact lenses and a number of other eye care essentials. The purpose of the trip will be to attend to the medial necessities of those individuals who are unable to see an optimologist during this crisis. The items will be distributed on a need basis without cost.

In addition to supplying eye care products, there will be several doctors available for consultation and treatment aboard the “vision van,” as it is being called. The converted automobile boasts of an exam room, three screening rooms and state of the art equipment to meet the needs of the patients.

The specialized relief group will stay a minimum of two weeks in the Gulf area in an attempt to resolve any medical problems that the victims may be experiencing.

This is the first large-scale endeavor for the mobile group, which was made possible by the Josephine Leiser Foundation’s contribution of the RV last year.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...