Senate elections to be held despite Rita

Despite the looming prospect of another hurricane pushing back scheduled events, Hurricane Rita only had minor consequences for the upcoming Student Government Senate Elections.

After the University closed on Monday, the regularly scheduled candidates’ meeting was postponed and rescheduled for Wednesday evening. All other events will continue as planned.

Voting will begin on Monday in the Breezeway. Students can stop at their leisure and vote electronically on computers. The system allows each student to vote for the Senate seats that represent them and allows scores to be tallied in an efficient manner. Voting will be open through Wednesday.

Candidates are permitted to begin campaigning after attending the workshop. The time period before voting begins, when candidates are encouraged to promote their ideas and campaign for election, has been cut short a few days as a result of the University closing for Monday afternoon and Tuesday due to Hurricane Rita.

The decision to continue as scheduled without moving the process back an extra week came Wednesday afternoon. While there was concern that a rushed election would give voters little time to decide who to vote for, the administration and the Election Commission ultimately decided that the Senate would be more productive if it remained on schedule and that the delay would not have a significant effect on the Senators’ ability to complete their campaign.

“In terms of voter turn out, we don’t think [the delay]will change anything,” Elections Commission Chair Martin Cruz-Mesa said. “Senators will have less time to campaign, but we are trying to accommodate everyone and not have to move back Senate meetings that are already scheduled.”

There are no referenda to be voted on and there are a total of 22 Senate seats available (please see box in page 5). Election results will be announced 5 p.m. Wednesday.

Stacey Arnold can be reached at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...