Men’s tennis dominates

The University of Miami men’s tennis team came out strong to begin the season at the Hurricanes Invitational.

The field of teams included Florida Atlantic University, Georgia Southern University and Stetson University. Miami lost one match in the entire tournament on the first day.

Miami won in straight sets in the singles matches in all of its victories but one. While the teams UM faced are not close to the Hurricanes in talent, the players were able to keep their focus and dominate their opposition.

Miami boasts some high-caliber talent on the singles side, with a total of four players ranked in the top 100. That puts the program in the elite company of ACC champion Virginia, Southeastern Conference Champion Florida, Big Ten Champion Illinois, Georgia and Texas as the only six teams with four ranked singles players. The Preseason Intercollegiate Tennis Association will stand as the official ranking throughout the entire fall season, which consists of only tournaments; there are no ACC matches.

The team is headed by junior Josh Cohen, who led the team last year as an All-ACC performer. Miami also picked up an All-SEC transfer and No. 26 overall from Alabama in junior Luigi D’Agord. The list is filled out by senior Tim Krebs and Eric Hechtman, who are ranked Nos. 62 and 100 respectively.

Miami also has two ranked doubles team with Cohen and D’Agord at No. 32 and Krebs and Hechtman at No. 50.

The squad will look to continue to build off the opening weekend in tournaments that include stops in Charlottesville, Va., Tampa, Gainesville, Tulsa, Okla. and Memphis, Tenn. over the next month. Miami begins its match schedule against Furman on Jan. 28.

Mario Rincon is in his second year as the Miami head coach. Rincon will look to continue the program

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...