Men’s tennis dominates

The University of Miami men’s tennis team came out strong to begin the season at the Hurricanes Invitational.

The field of teams included Florida Atlantic University, Georgia Southern University and Stetson University. Miami lost one match in the entire tournament on the first day.

Miami won in straight sets in the singles matches in all of its victories but one. While the teams UM faced are not close to the Hurricanes in talent, the players were able to keep their focus and dominate their opposition.

Miami boasts some high-caliber talent on the singles side, with a total of four players ranked in the top 100. That puts the program in the elite company of ACC champion Virginia, Southeastern Conference Champion Florida, Big Ten Champion Illinois, Georgia and Texas as the only six teams with four ranked singles players. The Preseason Intercollegiate Tennis Association will stand as the official ranking throughout the entire fall season, which consists of only tournaments; there are no ACC matches.

The team is headed by junior Josh Cohen, who led the team last year as an All-ACC performer. Miami also picked up an All-SEC transfer and No. 26 overall from Alabama in junior Luigi D’Agord. The list is filled out by senior Tim Krebs and Eric Hechtman, who are ranked Nos. 62 and 100 respectively.

Miami also has two ranked doubles team with Cohen and D’Agord at No. 32 and Krebs and Hechtman at No. 50.

The squad will look to continue to build off the opening weekend in tournaments that include stops in Charlottesville, Va., Tampa, Gainesville, Tulsa, Okla. and Memphis, Tenn. over the next month. Miami begins its match schedule against Furman on Jan. 28.

Mario Rincon is in his second year as the Miami head coach. Rincon will look to continue the program

Happy Thanksgiving! I started this while I was sitting in Washington-Dulles Airport awaiting my seco ...

This is how extraordinary the University of Miami football season has been: When the Hurricanes won ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes nuggets on Thanksgiving: • There’s no doubt that UM’s home field advantage ...

You’ve got to expect the Las Vegas sportsbooks to come strong and smart with two days of Florida col ...

Here’s why UM moving up to No. 2 in the CFP poll was important, for reasons that extend beyond Canes ...

At the entrance of the University of Miami’s Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic S ...

UM Police Department's Innovative Fundraiser Sells Abandoned Bikes to Support United Way ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

Here are three matchups to watch as the No. 2 Hurricanes face Pitt with a chance to finish the regul ...

The tournament will be played in Southern California next November 22, 23 and 25. ...

Dewan Huell scored a career-high 16 points as the Canes defeated La Salle in Reading, Pa. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team had to break a 10-year-old record to overcome sturdy Georgia ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...