Men’s tennis dominates

The University of Miami men’s tennis team came out strong to begin the season at the Hurricanes Invitational.

The field of teams included Florida Atlantic University, Georgia Southern University and Stetson University. Miami lost one match in the entire tournament on the first day.

Miami won in straight sets in the singles matches in all of its victories but one. While the teams UM faced are not close to the Hurricanes in talent, the players were able to keep their focus and dominate their opposition.

Miami boasts some high-caliber talent on the singles side, with a total of four players ranked in the top 100. That puts the program in the elite company of ACC champion Virginia, Southeastern Conference Champion Florida, Big Ten Champion Illinois, Georgia and Texas as the only six teams with four ranked singles players. The Preseason Intercollegiate Tennis Association will stand as the official ranking throughout the entire fall season, which consists of only tournaments; there are no ACC matches.

The team is headed by junior Josh Cohen, who led the team last year as an All-ACC performer. Miami also picked up an All-SEC transfer and No. 26 overall from Alabama in junior Luigi D’Agord. The list is filled out by senior Tim Krebs and Eric Hechtman, who are ranked Nos. 62 and 100 respectively.

Miami also has two ranked doubles team with Cohen and D’Agord at No. 32 and Krebs and Hechtman at No. 50.

The squad will look to continue to build off the opening weekend in tournaments that include stops in Charlottesville, Va., Tampa, Gainesville, Tulsa, Okla. and Memphis, Tenn. over the next month. Miami begins its match schedule against Furman on Jan. 28.

Mario Rincon is in his second year as the Miami head coach. Rincon will look to continue the program

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...