UMNEWS – A landmark deal

In a pact that aims to bolster South Florida’s biotech industry, create thousands of jobs and provide hope to the homeless, the University of Miami and the city of Miami have agreed on a land swap deal that will satisfy needs for both entities. Under the terms of the deal, the University will build a

1.4 million-square-foot bioscience research center on almost eight acres of land currently controlled by Camillus House, a charity serving the poor. In return, UM will give more than an acre of land on which Camillus House will build a new facility for the poor and homeless.

Located in Miami’s Allapattah neighborhood, the entire area involved in the land swap is bordered by NW 20th Street to the north, SR 836 to the south, NW 7th Avenue to the west and I-95 to the east. With the bioscience center, UM will double its employment in the city of Miami over the next five to ten years, said UM President Donna E. Shalala. In addition, the many health-related initiatives and programs of the University’s Miller School of Medicine will help support the impoverished of Camillus House, Shalala said.

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...