Rap is crap

You know, I love turning on the radio and hearing some guy talking about how much money he has and how I’ll never be able to “step to him”, then turning the station and listening to how Lil’ Kim gives guys “high blood pressure like a diabetic.” Thanks, Kim, and by the way diabetics have high blood sugar, not pressure, idiot, but hey, anything to make the last word in your stanza rhyme, right?

It seems that the current stream of rap and hip-hop in the last two years has been nothing short of uninspired, unintelligent and purposeless drivel that has been packaged for an MTV-brainwashed generation. Gone are the days of Public Enemy, Run DMC and even early Tupac Shakur-rappers whose songs had purpose and a message. Now we have songs such as “Laffy Taffy,” “In ‘da club” or, one of my favorites, “Jones.” How a man can use his name as a background beat and call it music is beyond me. The fathers of rap must be shaking their heads in collective astonishment at how their creation has turned into an abomination.

Songs about social and political strife have vanished, with rappers now talking about how they “dug some hoe out.” Amazing lyrics about the struggle to survive on the streets have been replaced with lyrics of lavish excess and arrogant lyrical self-pleasure. Even those who feign in-depth thought like Kanye West and Jadakiss can’t resist the temptation to stroke their egos. Jadakiss, in his song “Why,” has to add several lines praising himself in what would otherwise be a thought-provoking song.

Now I beg the question-how would you like it if some guy came up to you and said, “Yo, I am better than you at everything you’ll ever do. I banged your girlfriend and your mom, then I stole your car; don’t be mad, it’s just part of the game.” Chances are you’d slug him so hard he’d fly out of his un-tied shoes (rappers don’t tie their shoes because tying your shoes makes you soft).

By buying one of those rap albums, you’re giving that same guy $15. Oh, and ladies, I know how much you want a guy whispering in your ear about how he’s going to “beat dat p**** up.” Such talk is degrading and disrespectful-get some class, morons.

I implore you to take a stand against such ridiculous music being put forward that has obviously affected our society so much that even a multinational company like McDonald’s has changed its slogan to the grammatically incorrect “I’m lovin’ it.” As a lexiconnoisseur I am appalled. The music propagates a society of materialistic, arrogant chauvinists and anybody supporting it is merely promoting this behavior.

Jovanni Bello can be contacted at j.bello2@umiami.edu.

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...