Defying Death Valley

The season is not over for the Miami Hurricanes just yet. Tyrone Moss scored a 25-yard touchdown and freshman safety Ken Phillips came through with a game-sealing interception in the third overtime as No. 13 Miami escaped from Death Valley with a 36-30 victory over No. 20 Clemson on Saturday.

The Hurricanes (1-1) blew a 10-point lead in the fourth quarter but never lost their swagger in the three overtimes. Moss had a breakout game of sorts, finishing with 139 yards on 31 carries and three touchdowns. Moss told ESPN he is confident he can carry on UM’s tradition of stellar running backs.

“I know I can be the man,” Moss said. “I can get the job done. There was no doubt in my mind.”

With Miami leading 20-10 late in the fourth quarter, Clemson (2-1) quarterback Charlie Whitehurst, who completed 31-of- 55 passes for 288 yards, two touchdowns and an interception, scored on a one-yard dive to pull within three points. After a Hurricanes three-and-out, Whitehurst drove Clemson all the way to the 10-yard line, resulting in a game-tying 27-yard field goal by Jad Dean with 15 seconds left.

The Hurricanes did their job in the first overtime, as a 20-yard reception from Sinorice Moss set up a three-yard Tyrone Moss touchdown run. Facing a fourth-andtwo from Miami’s six, Whitehurst connected with Curtis Baham to send the game to a second overtime at 27-27.

The Tigers could only muster a 40- yard Dean field goal in the second extra frame, and when Miami had third-andone from the two on the ensuing possession, it appeared Clemson would fall short. However, Tyrone Moss was stopped at the line of scrimmage on third down, and Head Coach Larry Coker decided to settle for a 19-yard Jon Peattie field goal and a third overtime.

Coker’s decision proved to be fortuitous, as Tyrone Moss broke free for a 25-yard touchdown. Miami’s mandatory two-point conversion attempt (after two overtimes, both teams must go for two) failed, so the Hurricanes had a 36-30 advantage.

After an incomplete pass to start Clemson’s drive, Whitehurst made his first and final critical mistake of the game. An errant throw was picked off by Phillips at the nine-yard line, and the ‘Canes avenged last year’s overtime loss to the Tigers. “Last year they took a piece of grass from our field,” Tyrone Moss told The Miami Herald. “This year we own the whole 100 yards. You can take up that [Tiger] paw and put a U down there.”

Had Miami lost, it would have fallen to 0-2 for the first time in 27 years. Coker told the Herald that his players were uplifted by the win after the team’s dramatic loss to Florida State in the season opener.

“This is a huge, huge win for us,” Coker said. “I’m really proud of our effort in a tough place to play, a tremendous college atmosphere. Our players are excited about getting home.”

Eric Kalis can be contacted at e.kalis@umiami.edu.

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an offic ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami women's tennis team is set to begin its 2017 fall season this weekend, with the major ...

Despite a career-best nine saves by Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the Miami soccer team dropped a 1-0 road d ...

The Miami Hurricanes evacuated Coral Gables ahead of Hurricane Irma and now they move forward as a f ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns to the court this weekend to host Virginia Tech and ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team opens its 2017-18 season Friday at the eighth ann ...