Smelly carpet has got to go

When the lower lounge in the UC flooded after Hurricane Katrina it wasn’t pleasant, but after seeing the power of the wind and rain a little damage was expected. Soggy carpets and an unpleasant odor permeated the area for days.

After UNICCO workers patiently swept the water out and aired out the area, it was possible to sit in the lounge without getting a headache from the stench. Even at this point we had to wonder if the University was going to do anything to fix the leaks that caused the flooding.

This past weekend the carpet in the lounge was once again soaked through and that unmistakable odor was back. Unlike the last time, though, there was no hurricane to point to as the culprit of the problem. This time it was just a strong rainstorm, something that’s not an unusual occurrence in South Florida. As of Wednesday there was still a slightly unpleasant, although bearable, smell in the lounge.

While UM is clearing away the remainder of the debris from trees, could it please go ahead and remove the carpet and replace it with something that isn’t going to cause students to roll their jeans up or pull out their wellies anytime they want to walk through the lounge? Or if the carpet is indispensable, perhaps fixing the UC doors or floor so that the building doesn’t flood could be the next (and possibly more expensive) step.

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

No. 2 seed Clemson used a six-run sixth to push past seventh-seeded Miami Thursday night. ...

Kevin Arreaga was the first Cane in action on Thursday and he wasted little time punching his ticket ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...