Smelly carpet has got to go

When the lower lounge in the UC flooded after Hurricane Katrina it wasn’t pleasant, but after seeing the power of the wind and rain a little damage was expected. Soggy carpets and an unpleasant odor permeated the area for days.

After UNICCO workers patiently swept the water out and aired out the area, it was possible to sit in the lounge without getting a headache from the stench. Even at this point we had to wonder if the University was going to do anything to fix the leaks that caused the flooding.

This past weekend the carpet in the lounge was once again soaked through and that unmistakable odor was back. Unlike the last time, though, there was no hurricane to point to as the culprit of the problem. This time it was just a strong rainstorm, something that’s not an unusual occurrence in South Florida. As of Wednesday there was still a slightly unpleasant, although bearable, smell in the lounge.

While UM is clearing away the remainder of the debris from trees, could it please go ahead and remove the carpet and replace it with something that isn’t going to cause students to roll their jeans up or pull out their wellies anytime they want to walk through the lounge? Or if the carpet is indispensable, perhaps fixing the UC doors or floor so that the building doesn’t flood could be the next (and possibly more expensive) step.

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...