Elsewhere – Aussie court calls Kazaa illegal

Daily Pennsylvanian (U. Pennsylvania)

(U-WIRE) PHILADELPHIA – Students who rely on file sharing networks might soon be losing their software, thanks to the wave of lawsuits against companies that provide such services. Last Monday, Sharman Networks, owner of popular file sharing software Kazaa, lost an 18-month legal battle in the Australian court.

The court ruled Kazaa illegal based on Australian copyright laws, as the Recording Industry Association of America called the ruling a “global victory for legitimate online music services,” in an official statement by the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Mitch Bainwol.

“This decision reflects a growing, international chorus: Those who promote theft can be held accountable no matter how they may attempt to escape responsibility,” Bainwol added.

Before, there used to be a centralized system such as Napster, from which users could download files-now software such as Kazaa allow users to exchange files directly.

The music service could cost students around $2 per month, but the files will be systematically “tethered” in that they won’t get saved in student’s individual computers.

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Canes Basketball player development assistant will graduate with MSED in Sport Administation. ...

UOnline graduate will earn his M.S. in Health Informatics ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

University of Miami diver Briadam Herrera collected a 1-meter national title at the Greensboro Aquat ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...