CONCERT REVIEW – Local performers express folk talent at North Beach Bandshell

On Saturday, Sept. 10, at the North Beach Bandshell, amid a backdrop of painted palm trees and art deco aqua and blue, close to 100 people gathered to see two local performers’ unique takes on acoustic folk music.

The first act, Raffa Jo and Rainer Davies, performed a quiet, intimate set, with audience members sitting cross-legged on the stage a few feet away. Raffa’s quirky original songs were perfectly complemented by her sweet, lilting voice and Davies’ tasteful guitar picking. The final song, about a girl contemplating becoming a bug, featured the line,”maybe I’m better off being just what I am / no one can smash me just with one hand.”

Next was Jesse Jackson, a singer-songwriter who has called Miami his home since 2000. Clad in plaid pajama pants and playing a Latin American instrument called the cuatro, Jackson’s commanding voice emanated from a tiny amplifier, the distortion causing him to sound like Delta blues singer from the 1930s howling out of a Victrola record player. As he played a minor key strut about lovemaking in a telephone booth “on a little bit of whisky and vermouth,” one could almost imagine the mural of a serene bayside behind him turning into the fa

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...