LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Politics corrupt Hurricane Katrina analysis Partisan exploitation of Hurricane Katrina tragedy by the Left makes Bush the convenient scapegoat while protecting certain Democrats who are as guilty as the President. Bush failed. But what about the mayor of New Orleans, Ray Nagin, a Democrat? Why does he get a clean bill of innocence from otherwise active critics? Ray Nagin did not initiate New Orleans’ own evacuation plan, which calls for use of school and commuter buses to provide transportation to thousands who cannot evacuate on their own. Today those buses are flooded and useless in their parking lots. Imagine the seats in those buses and lives they could have saved.

As a matter of fact, Nagin declared mandatory evacuation only after President Bush personally urged him to do so in a phone call. Nagin did not prepare the Superdome, a designated shelter for hurricane. Why was there no food, no water and no medics at the Superdome?

He also failed to provide adequate security. New Orleans has murder rates 10 times higher than the rest of the United States. It is a city notorious for its lawlessness and corruption. Then why were there only 1,500 cops in the city of 500,000 under threat of a Category 5 hurricane?

President Bush declared a state of emergency in Louisiana on Aug. 28, two days before the levees broke, one day before hurricane itself. Why did Nagin not ask President for federal troops to beef up security, or for supplies, before the hurricane hit? Why is it that although Katrina missed New Orleans and hit Mississippi instead, everything is under control over there? Perhaps the local government in Mississippi is more qualified? Perhaps, instead of screaming profanity on national TV, they are actually prepared for the disaster?

Thousands lie dead in New Orleans as we speak. It is our duty, in order to honor their memory, to seek those who are truly guilty, regardless of creed or color. Stop exploiting their deaths for political gain!

Local and federal officials, Democrats and Republicans alike, were guilty of this disaster. To say that only Republicans or Bush failed, would be to drown victims of Katrina all over again for the sake of political bigotry. Arsen A. Ivanov

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...