Cassette is quality and quantity

Each year has its own perfect summer soundtrack, the kind of music that blends seamlessly with the bells of ice cream trucks and the nighttime songs of cicadas.

The 2005 edition, Cassette’s Beautiful California, has come out just as the summer is dying, but that’s no reason not to listen to it. After all, in Miami it’s always summer.

Recorded over several months on a laptop by UM student Devin Smith and released on his own label Atomisk Records, Beautiful California subscribes to the notion that brevity is the soul of wit, with 35 tracks spread over 36 minutes. Delivered in bite-size, easy to chew chunks, the tunes include everything from irresistible sunny instrumentals to party songs in unusual time signatures to love ballads for inanimate objects.

Sequenced with the catchiest songs at the front, the most intricate songs in the middle and the mood pieces at the end, the album flows effortlessly from track to track, the product of five days spent deciding the final song order.

Brimming with whimsical humor, rhythmic complexity and inventive sonic touches, its ambitiousness never gets in the way of a memorable melody, with sing-along choruses practically hurling themselves out of the speakers.

Matt Gajewski can be contacted at m.gajewski@umiami.edu.

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...