Volleyball sweeps Houston Invitational

The University of Miami women’s volleyball team began its 2005 season in thrilling fashion with a three-team sweep of the Houston Invitational at the Alumni/Athletics Center in Houston, Texas, last weekend.

Led by senior outside hitter Karla Johnson, who tied a school record with 30 kills against Houston, the ‘Canes defeated the Cougars 3-2 (30-32, 30-25, 30-27, 17-30, 15-5), Saturday evening in the championship match.

Johnson, a Houston native, equaled the total kills in a match record, set in 2001 by Marcella Gamarra, and set a new mark for most kills in a five-game match. Johnson capped off her stellar homecoming by recording a double-double and adding a personal-best 11 digs. She also posted six total blocks in the match.

Head Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said she was impressed with Johnson’s effort and the support the upperclassmen gave to the underclassmen in crucial late-game situations.

“We played in several five-game matches last season and lost,” Lantagne Welch said. “Therefore, this season we wanted to focus on winning those close games and stepping up to those pressure situations. So, to be able to do this in our first opportunity we faced this season was a great feeling.”

Lantagne Welch said senior leadership was evident in the fifth game against Houston. After losing the first point of the game, the Hurricanes won 13 of the next 15, forcing seven Cougar errors during the run to claim a 15-5 victory.

“It just feels great to start the season with three wins, especially the way we finished it off, beating a really tough Houston team on their own court-that was great,” Lantagne Welch said. “The team definitely grew over the weekend and worked together.”

The ‘Canes (3-0) return to action this weekend to host the Hurricane Invitational, where Miami will welcome Jacksonville State and Xavier to the Knight Sports Complex.

Due to Tulane’s cancellation, only three matches will be played. The tournament will now open with Miami facing Jacksonville State at 7 p.m. on Friday. Play will resume on Saturday with Jacksonville State taking on Xavier at 11 a.m. The Hurricanes will once again take the court in the evening with a 7:30 p.m. match against Xavier.

Mike Holt can be contacted at m.holt1@umiami.edu.

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team checks in at No. 39 in the Oracle/ITA rankings Tuesda ...