Briefs – MEN’S TENNIS * SOCCER

Men’s Tennis

The University of Miami men’s tennis team was one of only six teams in the nation to boast at least four players in the 2005 Preseason Intercollegiate Tennis Association singles rankings released Tuesday by the ITA.

UM junior and 2005 All-ACC standout Josh Cohen topped the Miami list with a national No. 20 ranking. Junior Luigi D’Agord, an All-SEC transfer from Alabama, followed just behind Cohen at No. 26. Senior Tim Krebs, who finished the 2004-05 season second on the team in total wins (20) to Cohen (23), is ranked 62nd while fellow classmate Eric Hechtman drew the 100th spot in the country.

Second-year head coach Mario Rincon and the Hurricanes joined 2005 ACC Champion Virginia, 2005 SEC Champion Florida, 2005 Big Ten Champion Illinois, Georgia and Texas as the only six teams in the country to have at least four singles players included in the ITA’s preseason rankings.

The UM quartet was also ranked in the preseason doubles rankings with the tandem of Cohen and D’Agord drawing the No. 32 spot and Krebs and Hechtman duo coming in at 50th.

The ITA preseason rankings will stand as the official individual rankings for the entire fall season until the next official rankings released in January 2006.

Soccer

Rachael Rigamat of the University of Miami women’s soccer team has been named the SoccerFLA.com Player of the Week for her performance last week, which included a two-goal outing in Miami’s 3-0 upset over 14th-ranked Princeton.

Rigamat, a freshman midfielder from La Crescenta, Calif., helped lead the Hurricanes to a pair of wins over the week, downing in-state rival Florida Atlantic in addition to Princeton to claim the title at the 2005 Miami Tournament.

Against the Tigers, Rigamat netted the game-winner for UM in the 64th minute when she fielded a pass from Akilah Moore in the box and spun past a defender to turn and score past Princeton keeper Maren Dale. She added another goal in the 75th minute after fielding a ball at midfield and dribbling in past two Princeton defenders to score.

The SoccerFLA.com Player of the Week is awarded to the top collegiate player from a Florida school for his or her performance during the previous week.

Rigamat and the Hurricanes will return to action this weekend when they travel to Bloomington, Ind. to take on host Indiana and Marquette at the Hoosier Classic.

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...