Briefs – MEN’S TENNIS * SOCCER

Men’s Tennis

The University of Miami men’s tennis team was one of only six teams in the nation to boast at least four players in the 2005 Preseason Intercollegiate Tennis Association singles rankings released Tuesday by the ITA.

UM junior and 2005 All-ACC standout Josh Cohen topped the Miami list with a national No. 20 ranking. Junior Luigi D’Agord, an All-SEC transfer from Alabama, followed just behind Cohen at No. 26. Senior Tim Krebs, who finished the 2004-05 season second on the team in total wins (20) to Cohen (23), is ranked 62nd while fellow classmate Eric Hechtman drew the 100th spot in the country.

Second-year head coach Mario Rincon and the Hurricanes joined 2005 ACC Champion Virginia, 2005 SEC Champion Florida, 2005 Big Ten Champion Illinois, Georgia and Texas as the only six teams in the country to have at least four singles players included in the ITA’s preseason rankings.

The UM quartet was also ranked in the preseason doubles rankings with the tandem of Cohen and D’Agord drawing the No. 32 spot and Krebs and Hechtman duo coming in at 50th.

The ITA preseason rankings will stand as the official individual rankings for the entire fall season until the next official rankings released in January 2006.

Soccer

Rachael Rigamat of the University of Miami women’s soccer team has been named the SoccerFLA.com Player of the Week for her performance last week, which included a two-goal outing in Miami’s 3-0 upset over 14th-ranked Princeton.

Rigamat, a freshman midfielder from La Crescenta, Calif., helped lead the Hurricanes to a pair of wins over the week, downing in-state rival Florida Atlantic in addition to Princeton to claim the title at the 2005 Miami Tournament.

Against the Tigers, Rigamat netted the game-winner for UM in the 64th minute when she fielded a pass from Akilah Moore in the box and spun past a defender to turn and score past Princeton keeper Maren Dale. She added another goal in the 75th minute after fielding a ball at midfield and dribbling in past two Princeton defenders to score.

The SoccerFLA.com Player of the Week is awarded to the top collegiate player from a Florida school for his or her performance during the previous week.

Rigamat and the Hurricanes will return to action this weekend when they travel to Bloomington, Ind. to take on host Indiana and Marquette at the Hoosier Classic.

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...