UMNEWS – University of Miami’s economic impact grows to $3.9 billion

The University of Miami pumps $3.9 billion into the local South Florida economy, according to a study conducted by the Washington Economics Group. With more than 10,000 employees, it is now the largest private employer in Miami-Dade County and the sixth largest employer overall.

“The University of Miami is inextricably linked to this wonderful and diverse community-and as a key intellectual and economic force, we are committed to its continued advancement,” said University President Donna E. Shalala.

In the city of Coral Gables, the University of Miami is the most important economic enterprise, with a total impact of $1.1 billion. Approximately 40 percent of the University’s total payroll budget is paid to employees who live in the city. In addition, the University enhances the quality of life for residents, inviting neighbors to participate in athletic, educational, and cultural activities on its suburban, tropical campus.

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

No. 2 seed Clemson used a six-run sixth to push past seventh-seeded Miami Thursday night. ...

Kevin Arreaga was the first Cane in action on Thursday and he wasted little time punching his ticket ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...