Elsewhere – Calling card educates students about rape

August marked the second year that the Florida Department of Health (DOH) has offered calling cards that provide a critical message about preventing rape. DOH’s “Rape. Talk About It. Prevent It.” campaign proved successful last year, with more than 125,000 cards distributed to Florida college students both on campus and at spring break locations.

Young adults between the ages of 18 and 21 represent more than a fifth of all victims of rape and sexual assault, according to the U.S. Department of Justice. The National College Women Sexual Victimization Study estimated that between 1 in 4 and 1 in 5 college women experienced completed or attempted rapes during their college years.

The miniature cards feature the words, “Rape. Talk About It. Prevent It.” The free minutes of local or long-distance air time can be used through any phone service provider. When students activate their cards, they hear a 30-second message about sexual violence prevention, as well as a toll-free telephone number to local programs providing victim services and prevention education.

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...