Elsewhere – Calling card educates students about rape

August marked the second year that the Florida Department of Health (DOH) has offered calling cards that provide a critical message about preventing rape. DOH’s “Rape. Talk About It. Prevent It.” campaign proved successful last year, with more than 125,000 cards distributed to Florida college students both on campus and at spring break locations.

Young adults between the ages of 18 and 21 represent more than a fifth of all victims of rape and sexual assault, according to the U.S. Department of Justice. The National College Women Sexual Victimization Study estimated that between 1 in 4 and 1 in 5 college women experienced completed or attempted rapes during their college years.

The miniature cards feature the words, “Rape. Talk About It. Prevent It.” The free minutes of local or long-distance air time can be used through any phone service provider. When students activate their cards, they hear a 30-second message about sexual violence prevention, as well as a toll-free telephone number to local programs providing victim services and prevention education.