CD REVIEWS – Gabe Dixon Band shows talent, unique sound

Back in the 80s, Ben Folds was enrolled in the University of Miami’s jazz program, thanks to a stellar drum set audition tape. His live drumming wasn’t nearly as good, however, and after losing his scholarship he threw his $27 drum set into Lake Osceola and left for North Carolina.

Gabe Dixon, often compared to Ben Folds, had better luck. He and his bandmates all received degrees from Miami’s music school and were signed to Reprise/Warner Bros. after moving to Brooklyn, their tight live sound honed by countless performances at the Wesley Coffeehouse.

The Gabe Dixon Band’s Live at World Caf

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

University leaders from the Americas explore creating a Hemispheric University Consortium to work to ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team checks in at No. 39 in the Oracle/ITA rankings Tuesda ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...