CD REVIEWS – Gabe Dixon Band shows talent, unique sound

Back in the 80s, Ben Folds was enrolled in the University of Miami’s jazz program, thanks to a stellar drum set audition tape. His live drumming wasn’t nearly as good, however, and after losing his scholarship he threw his $27 drum set into Lake Osceola and left for North Carolina.

Gabe Dixon, often compared to Ben Folds, had better luck. He and his bandmates all received degrees from Miami’s music school and were signed to Reprise/Warner Bros. after moving to Brooklyn, their tight live sound honed by countless performances at the Wesley Coffeehouse.

The Gabe Dixon Band’s Live at World Caf

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...