UMNEWS – Hurricane research has early successes

The Rainband and Intensity Change Experiment (RAINEX) began its research this weekend with Hurricane Katrina and became the first hurricane research project to fly planes nearly simultaneously inside and outside the hurricane’s principal rainband, gathering information that will help understand hurricane intensity change significantly.

RAINEX is studying the interaction between hurricane winds and rain, using data recorded from hurricane research flights.

For six weeks of this year’s hurricane season, two NOAA P3 aircraft, along with a U.S. Navy P3 aircraft, will fly simultaneously into hurricanes before making landfall. The aircraft use Doppler radar to record wind speed and direction, temperature, atmospheric pressure and other data.

RAINEX features expertise from the University of Miami Rosenstiel School of Marine & Atmospheric Science, the University of Washington, the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR), the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the U.S. Navy. The National Science Foundation (NSF) provided $3 million to shed light on how and why a storm changes in strength in a matter of hours.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...