(Mis)handle with care

As Tropical Storm Katrina churned toward South Florida with the speed of an Astrovan stuck in neutral, hundreds of doe-eyed freshmen braced for the worst.

They would be stuck in the dorms.

To which my only response would be: Thank the powers that be that I’m not an RA again this year.

Because, if I had to be a resident assistant at Hecht-or any of the other residential colleges, for that matter-I would be given, to put mildly, the not-so-enviable task of maintaining sanity amongst a hodgepodge of teenagers, few of whom: a) have experienced a hurricane b) wanted to be locked up during their first week on campus, and c) were sober.

Freshmen, thank your lucky stars that these resident assistants were working ’round the clock, at a little less than $30 a week, to ensure the collective tranquility of our student body. To better appreciate their hard work, look no further than other facets of our community to see how exactly a storm of this magnitude could be mishandled.

Take, for example, MTV. While many of us struggled to find ice, air conditioning or light, the folks over at Music Television decided that the show must go on for their annual-or is it monthly?-Music-or is it Movie?-Awards, enlisting the help, or harm, of local police officers. And, thanks to a combination of stupidity and someone shooting Suge Knight in the leg, (which, so long as Suge knows who shot him, can also be classified as stupidity) dozens of Miami’s finest barricaded I-95 and every downtown street to ensure that no one un-famous could prevent Green Day from getting the seven awards they surely deserved.

But I won’t let MTV take all the blame…just the majority. Hell, maybe I’m just mad that I didn’t have cable so I couldn’t watch the damn show. I’ll blame that on BellSouth, which on Saturday reconnected cable to about 21,000 homes, according to the Miami Herald (compared to FP&L reconnecting power to about 300,000-plus homes). It’s that kind of snail-like pace that reminds you why it takes 11 weeks to get your cable fixed when there isn’t a hurricane.

Lastly, let us not forget the school’s administration, including President Shalala, whose ability to keep us uninformed throughout the process has made for an especially hectic acclimation to the school year. The school’s decision to send out an email at 5:37 p.m. on Monday night announcing the school’s re-opening for the following day, knowing well that many students living off campus had few options in checking their accounts so late in the afternoon, seemed in stark contrast with President Shalala’s heartfelt promise sent just seven hours prior: “For the future, we will find a way to remain nimble in our decision-making as weather forecasts and conditions change. We…will always think of your safety first.”

Sure thing, President Shalala. Starting now?

Ben Minkus can be contacted at b.minkus@umiami.edu.

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...