Elsewhere – Bill would limit credit for students

By Elaine Fabian

The Daily Iowan (U. Iowa)

(U-WIRE) IOWA CITY, Iowa-Students’ college years can provide opportunities to develop credit for the years ahead, but the U.S. House of Representatives is reviewing a bipartisan bill that may limit college students’ credit growth.

Rep. Louise McIntosh Slaughter, D-N.Y., and Rep. John Duncan Jr., R-Tenn., introduced a bill to keep creditors from taking advantage of young, full-time college students.

If approved, the federal bill would restrict the credit limit of students under 21 unless parents agree to assume joint liability. In addition, such students would be allowed to have only one credit card at a time. Students without sources of income would not be able to get credit cards, regardless of a parents’ willingness to co-sign.

Opponents of the bill argue that the government shouldn’t have the right to limit students’ credit.

Under the bill, college students under 21 would not be able to earn credit limits that exceed 20 percent of their annual gross incomes unless parents co-sign.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...