EDITORIAL – Shalala’s bold move

Admitting you made a mistake is hard to do, and when you’re in a position of power it can be even harder. The news is full of stories of politicians trying to avoid the blame or point fingers at others. That’s why it was so refreshing to read President Donna E. Shalala’s letter to the campus Monday.

For someone to come out and say they made a mistake and that they’re not going to make any excuses for their decisions and actions is a much welcome change. While she could have blamed the weathermen, the news stations or Hurricane Katrina herself, President Shalala chose to admit a wrong and say the administration would work to make sure such a situation didn’t occur again. Props.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...