CD REVIEW – The Decemberists take an adventure with latest album

At first listen, those unfamiliar to The Decemberists will be distracted by lead singer Colin Meloy’s piercing voice, which falls somewhere between a nasal drone and a full-fledged wail.

But listen harder, and one will find that Picaresque, the band’s third full-length album, sparkles like a jewel, rich with unconventional sound and lyrics that tear at one’s soul.

The songs that comprise this disc are ballads; not in the boy-band-song-slower-in-tempo-than-“I Want It That Way” sense, but as the traditional music class definition of a narrative poem intended to be a folk song. The instrumental side of the album pulls the listener into a European setting circa 1850, with a pleading violin in “We Both Go Down Together” and a feisty accordion in “The Mariner’s Song,” a nearly nine-minute track that was recorded during a live performance.

Meloy, who doubles as the Decemberists’ frontman and remarkably erudite songwriter, skillfully weaves poignancy through his lyrics in the tales of lost love that frequently pepper Picaresque. Most notable is the haunting “Eli, The Barrow Boy,” about a desperate, poverty-stricken lover which evokes the feel of a small-town ghost story. Another track with a tortured-heart protagonist is “The Engine Driver,” which is sure to speak to any lovelorn creative writing major.

Picaresque isn’t all heartbreak; on the lighter side are “The Sporting Life” and “Sixteen Military Wives,” marked by catchy tempos that manage to make their somewhat biting messages seem good-natured. For those indie-appreciators looking for something great, Picaresque has the whole package. The Decemberists have managed something rare: a melding of refreshing musicality, cerebral poetry and penetrating emotional appeal, all in one glorious compact disc.

Hannah Bae can be contacted at h.bae@umiami.edu.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...