Work opportunities abound at UM

Working while attending classes is a common choice for UM students. Part-time positions help students pay for books, food and entertainment, among other expenses.

Student employment positions provide students with great experiences that complement their classroom learning. Any student can log onto the EASY system and find a listing of available jobs.

Three employment program options exist at UM for undergraduate students: Federal Work Study Program, Student Assistant Program and Miami Commitment.

Federal Work Study (FWS), including Community Service Work Study, is a federally funded financial aid program awarded to students based on their eligibility determined by the on time completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid and other financial aid criteria.

Funding for this program is limited. Students are awarded a specific amount and may not earn beyond the approved amount as indicated in their Financial Aid Award letter. Jobs may be with on-campus departments or with off-campus community service agencies.

Students are allowed only one FWS assignment at a time; work schedules are flexible to accommodate students’ class schedules. Typically, a student works 10 to 15 hours per week. Pay rates depend on the responsibility of the position.

Students without federal funding are considered Student Assistants and can find jobs in many of the same departments as Federal Work Study students. However, the University must give preference to students in need of financial assistance in their hiring practices. Student Assistants make anywhere from $6.15 to $8 or even higher when they can offer advanced computer skills or have exceptional administrative experience.

Miami Commitment is a selective student employment skill development program at UM. Students admitted as incoming freshmen receive an invitation to apply to the program before the start of the Fall semester.

For more information about Student Employment, visit www.miami.edu/student-employment.

The young man convicted of killing former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor returned to ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA National Player to Watch hon ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano will face Arkansas' Osca ...

The bracket for the NCAA Singles Championship is set and Miami sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba will ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...