Weeks Music Library and Technology Center

The official unveiling of the Phillip and Patricia Frost School of Music’s high-tech library, the Marta and Austin Weeks Music Library and Technology Center, was cause for celebration. Faculty, friends, alumni and trustees-with mango martinis in hand-gathered outside the building during the dedication ceremony late January.

“This marks the third major contribution of the Weeks, and we are profoundly grateful,” William Hipp, dean of the School of Music, said in his remarks. “Very few schools of music can boast having a free-standing music library and technology center.”

The Weeks, longtime benefactors of the University, initiated their string of philanthropic contributions to the School of Music in 1998 with the L. Austin Weeks Center for Recording and Performance. Soon after, they created the L. Austin Weeks Music Scholarship Endowment, which provides financial assistance to more than 20 undergraduate students each year.

Dean Colson, chairman of the Board of Trustees, said he thinks highly of Marta Weeks.

“She is really one of those special people in the world,” Colson said of Marta Weeks.

“Marta is a wonderful human with a strong sense of ethics,” UM President Donna E. Shalala said. “She is a model for philanthropists.”

The Frost School of Music possesses one of the nation’s significant university music library collections. The new, 28,000-square-foot library also houses the music school’s extensive collections of media, from books, journals and videos that were previously in the Richter Library to scores and recordings that were in the Pick Music Library.

Shalu Patel can be contacted at

s.patel16@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...