UMX classes: Open your eyes to the ultimate University experience

In the sometimes-chaotic world of college life, it is important to develop the skills needed to sustain your academic and social education throughout the next four years. The transition from high school to college, or from college to college, brings forward many issues for all students. You can breathe easier knowing that UM has support services in place to make the transition as smooth as possible.

The UM Experience course has been developed to blend academics, leadership, learning, networking and community building skills to enrich your collegiate years. Building a solid foundation during the first year is key to a successful college career.

“This course helped me learn the strategies and techniques to be a successful college student,” Chris Igtiben, a former UMX student, said.

In small class settings, with prominent faculty and administration members as mentors, new students receive one-on-one instruction. One of the objectives of UMX is to provide students with a working knowledge of the university’s academic requirements, advising system, various degree programs and policies and procedures of the institution. Specifically, students are exposed to campus leadership opportunities, academic and career planning, UM traditions, study abroad opportunities and personal wellness programs, just to name a few activities.

UMX is designed to provide students new to UM with effective strategies for academic success and enriched opportunities for understanding the variety of human cultures, values and perspectives that a university offers. The course seeks to assist students toward self-actualization and integration into the life of the campus community.

Go to www.umarc.miami.edu/umx for more information.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...