UMX classes: Open your eyes to the ultimate University experience

In the sometimes-chaotic world of college life, it is important to develop the skills needed to sustain your academic and social education throughout the next four years. The transition from high school to college, or from college to college, brings forward many issues for all students. You can breathe easier knowing that UM has support services in place to make the transition as smooth as possible.

The UM Experience course has been developed to blend academics, leadership, learning, networking and community building skills to enrich your collegiate years. Building a solid foundation during the first year is key to a successful college career.

“This course helped me learn the strategies and techniques to be a successful college student,” Chris Igtiben, a former UMX student, said.

In small class settings, with prominent faculty and administration members as mentors, new students receive one-on-one instruction. One of the objectives of UMX is to provide students with a working knowledge of the university’s academic requirements, advising system, various degree programs and policies and procedures of the institution. Specifically, students are exposed to campus leadership opportunities, academic and career planning, UM traditions, study abroad opportunities and personal wellness programs, just to name a few activities.

UMX is designed to provide students new to UM with effective strategies for academic success and enriched opportunities for understanding the variety of human cultures, values and perspectives that a university offers. The course seeks to assist students toward self-actualization and integration into the life of the campus community.

Go to www.umarc.miami.edu/umx for more information.

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...