Tragedy sparks push for U.S. 1 pedestrian bridge

A series of actions have been taken at UM to improve pedestrian after freshman Ashley Kelly died last Spring after being hit by a car while crossing a U.S. 1 intersection.

Kelly was crossing the street with Andrea Cinque at the intersection of U.S. 1 and Mariposa Court when they were struck by a 1999 Ford Explorer. Cinque was treated for minor injuries and released from the hospital the next morning.

President Donna E. Shalala issued a statement about the accident.

“I have ordered an immediate safety review,” Dr. Shalala said. “The University will vigorously explore solutions to help prevent future accidents, including working with city, state and federal officials to explore the possibility of building a pedestrian bridge across South Dixie Highway.”

Pedestrian overpass efforts are now under way, with support from the entire UM community, including administration and Student Government.

“It’s kind of a dual track,” Sarah Artecona, vice president of Media and Community Relations, said. “We are looking for a long-term solution which is the pedestrian overpass, but we are also looking for some short-term ones.”

Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs, agreed.

“I’m hoping that we can use a horrific situation for something positive for future generations,” Dr. Whitely said. “The ultimate progress is going to be the pedestrian overpass.”

Local and state representatives met soon after to discuss possible long and short-term solutions for a pedestrian overpass.

Among the immediate changes will be the addition of more lights and trimming back landscaping to increase visibility. A training tape will be produced to caution students before crossing the streets and will be televised on the Hurry ‘Cane shuttles, and students will be made aware of pedestrian issues during Fall orientation.

Teressa Dalpe, Natalia Maldonado and Caralyn Pearson contributed to this article.

Megha Garg can be contacted at

m.garg2@umiami.edu.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...