Top 10 Sports Events of 2005

No matter the sport, no matter the season, the Hurricanes are known for their unforgettable moments. Here is a look at the top ten memories of last year, but don’t worry, there’s more where they came from.

1. No. 5 Miami Beats No. 4 Florida State in ACC Opener

It seems like any Top 10 list we have usually is highlighted by a thrilling Miami v. Florida State showdown. This year was no exception, as the Hurricanes came back from a 10-0 second half deficit to stun the Seminoles in overtime 16-10. The game had to be postponed from a Monday night kickoff to Friday night because of Hurricane Frances. Frank Gore sealed the victory with an 18-yard touchdown run in overtime.

2. Bradley Ranked No. 1 in Country

A storied women’s tennis career at UM reached its peak when senior Megan Bradley received the top ranking in the country in the March 8 Intercollegiate Tennis Association rankings, becoming the first player to earn such an honor since 1988. Bradley went on to be named the ACC Player of the Year and led the Hurricanes to the finals of the ACC Championships.

3. James’ buzzer-beater leads Hurricanes past Georgia Tech

Looking to salvage a disappointing first season in the ACC, the women’s basketball team relied on its star player, Tamara James, to get the team a much-needed ACC Tournament victory over Georgia Tech. With the score tied at 58 with 1.6 seconds left, Yalonda McCormick launched a full-court pass to James, who nailed a turnaround jumper to give the ‘Canes the victory.

4. Football rallies to beat Louisville

Brock Berlin led the football team back from a 17-point deficit to beat upstart Louisville 41-38 at the Orange Bowl on Oct. 14. Berlin threw three touchdown passes and Frank Gore’s one-yard touchdown clinched the win for the Hurricanes. Devin Hester added a 78-yard punt return for a touchdown to put UM ahead 34-31 in the fourth quarter, but Brian Brohm led Louisville right back down the field for a touchdown, setting up the dramatic finish.

5. Women’s track wins ACC Championship

The eighth-ranked women’s track and field team took its first ACC Championship in Tallahassee, Fla., this season. The Hurricanes were sparked by junior All-American Charlette Greggs, who won both the 200-meter and 400-meter events. UM recorded six individual event victories in all to finish with 142 points, 20 more than second-place North Carolina.

6. Miami Defeats Maryland in OT

Will Frisby made a pair of free throws with 0.8 seconds left in overtime to lift Miami past No. 22 Maryland 75-73. Miami led nearly the entire game and after Guillermo Diaz almost won it in regulation on a half court shot at the buzzer that was waved off, the Hurricanes held on for their fifth ACC win of the year.

7. Carrillo Tosses Complete Game Shutout

Cesar Carrillo continued his dominance on the pitcher’s mound, and Miami only needed one run to get the best of Oral Roberts in a 1-0 victory. It was Carrillo’s first-ever shutout as he gave up only five hits and struck out nine batters.

8. Tina Miller Wins Ryder Cup

Tina Miller shot a final round 77 to secure the Ryder Cup Championship for the University of Miami. It was her third victory of the year, the most since 1987-1988. The victory helped seal Miami’s first state title since 1993.

9. Duke Basketball Comes to Coral Gables

Students were lined up for hours to make their way into what some called the biggest basketball game Miami had ever played. Even though No.4 Duke won the game, it showed the Hurricanes had the fans, as the Convocation Center was rocking all night long. Fans included Alex Rodriguez and Alonzo Mourning in the front row.

10. Hurricanes Rip Gators in the Peach Bowl

Playing in their first non-BCS bowl game in quite a while, the Hurricanes showed no signs of ill will as they defeated the Gators 27-10. In his final game as a ‘Cane, Brock Berlin threw for 171 yards as he led Miami to their third-straight “State Title.”

Compiled by Eric Kalis and Douglas C. Kroll

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was just a point away from its first true road victor ...

Miami's offense shook off a slow start to the series, and the Hurricanes departed Durham Bulls ...

The No. 31 Miami women's tennis team posted its seventh win in the past eight outings by toppin ...

The University of Miami rowing team closed out its spring opener at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...