Terrell Walden, Miami’s jack of all trades

Terrell Walden has a busy schedule. He is a full-time student, football player, track star-and father.

Walden, who is from the projects of Liberty City in Miami, ran the 60 meters and set the Big East Indoor Championship and Carrier Dome record in February.

Change is nothing new for Walden. Recently, he switched from cornerback to wide receiver on the football team. He puts more time on the practice field but the challenge keeps him motivated.

Walden wants to set a positive example.

“As a kid, I used to play sports year around at GC Park,” Walden said. “I need track for football and visa versa. I love both sports equally.”

Yet, Walden still dreams of playing on Sundays.

“I want to play in the NFL,” he said. “I plan on improving and taking my game to the next level.”

Walden is a junior, so his chance to be selected in the 2006 NFL draft is about a year away. Walden was red shirted for the 2003 football season. During the 2004 season, Walden was sidelined by a torn ACL on his right knee. He must stay healthy to display his talent.

On the track, Walden has excelled in both the 100-meter and 60-meter races.

During the Hurricane Invitational in March, Walden placed 12th out of 29 runners in the 100-meter dash. On Feb. 18, at the ACC Indoor Championships in Chapel Hill, N.C., Walden placed 19th out of 37 in the 60-meter dash.

Walden cherishes time spent toddler son, Terrell Jr. He has garnered respect from his neighborhood peers because of his success.

“I want to show the kids that you can do positive things,” he said.

Being a student-athlete means having to juggle responsibilities of athletics and academics.

“I start assignments ASAP,” he said. “Good time management is critical to success.”

Paul Campbell can be contacted at

.campbell62@umiami.edu.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...