Public Safety seeks to protect, educate

The Department of Public Safety is a full-service police agency made up of police officers that provide service 24 hours a day, year round. The department is augmented by contract security officers and student security patrol officers.

Public Safety offers many services for your safety and protection.

Security Escort Patrol, Security Supervisors, Security Officers and Student Security Patrol Officers will escort any student, faculty, staff member or campus visitor 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This is a free service.

Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) is a program of realistic self-defense tactics and techniques. This comprehensive course for women is taught by certified RAD instructors. The course is 12 to 15 hours long and its objective is to develop and enhance the options of self-defense, so that they may become viable considerations to the woman who is attacked.

Another safety service at UM is the Adopt-a-cop program. Each residential college may “adopt” a police officer, who provides high visibility and is highly accessible to the residential community. This officer may facilitate speakers to address any safety issue of interest.

Operation ID is a program that identifies valuables in order to deter theft and aid in recovery of stolen property. Engravers are available at Public Safety. Public Safety can also etch your vehicle identification number into the glass areas of your car, thereby making it easily traceable if stolen and less desirable to a thief.

Public Safety sells anti-theft devices for vehicles and laptop computers at a reduced cost. Cyclists can trade in their cables or chain locks for a free U-lock, while supplies last, and register their bikes into a national registry at no cost.

Motorists who are stranded on campus can call Public Safety for assistance if they are locked out of their cars or experience dead batteries or flat tires.

In addition, more than 70 emergency telephones are strategically located throughout campus. These phones are marked by a blue light to aid in nighttime identification and are connected directly to the department of Public Safety. Phones may be used to request an escort, report suspicious persons or activities, or to obtain information.

Remember, most crimes are “crimes of opportunity.” If we can remove the opportunity, we can greatly reduce the chance of crime.

For more information, contact the Department of Public Safety at 305-284-6666, or visit www.miami.edu/public-safety.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...