Pre-Law, Pre-MBA programs give students a leg up

The Pre-Law and Pre-MBA (Master of Business Administration) programs at the University of Miami identify students interested in going to law school or graduate school. Pre-Law and Pre-MBA are not majors but career options-once coded as a Pre-Law or Pre-MBA student, students receive a newsletter highlighting upcoming events.

The University of Miami is one of the only universities in the country to have a formal pre-MBA program.

One of the key initiatives of the Pre-Law and Pre-MBA programs is to prepare students for the LSAT, GMAT and GRE tests, which are required to attend top graduate schools.

“Students need to take these tests very seriously and begin to prepare for them in their freshmen year,” said Dr. Elisah B. Lewis, Director of Undergraduate Career Options Counseling.

Dr. Lewis recommends taking 10 practice tests annually as early as freshmen year. Practice LSAT and GMAT exams are given the last Friday of each month at the School of Business, and GRE tests are also given on a limited basis.

Upcoming events include a Pre-Law and Pre-MBA Orientation seminar for new students on Aug. 23. The Pre-Law session will take place from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. and the Pre-MBA session will take place from 2:15 p.m. to 3 p.m. in the Storer Auditorium. Interested students will get manuals and be able to sign up as Pre-Law or Pre-MBA students.

Pre-Law events for the Fall will include the annual Miami Law Fair taking place on Oct. 7 at the Hyatt in Downtown Miami from noon to 6 p.m. One hundred and ten-plus law schools from all over the country, including the top 10 law schools and all Florida schools, will attend this fair.

In addition, the Pre-MBA club is open to all students to join. There will be an event once a month, with the highlight of the fall semester being Entrepreneurship Day at the end of October. Students can also join the Pre-Legal Society (Phi Alpha Delta), which will meet every Monday night at 5:30 p.m. in the second floor of the University Center.

For more information about Pre-Law and Pre-MBA programs please visit http://sba07.bus.miami.edu/dev_new/sections/undergrad/career_counsel/ or email Dr. Lewis at eblewis@miami.edu.

Rahila Odhwani can be contacted at

r.odhwani@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...