New dean to move School of Comm forward

University President Donna E. Shalala announced last February the appointment of Dr. Sam L Grogg as new Dean of the School of Communication. Dr. Grogg, who is Dean of the American Film Institute Conservatory [AFI] in Los Angeles, Calif., will replace Edward J. Pfister, who has been dean of the School since its foundation in 1985.

“This was not an easy decision,” Dr. Shalala said. “I thought Dr. Grogg in particular was the type of person we wanted to lead the school in this decade, in this century.”

Dr. Grogg has been dean of AFI since 1998. Before that, he was the founding dean for the School of Filmmaking at the North Carolina School of the Arts. His film background includes working as executive producer for New Symphony Pictures and Symphony Entertainment, and serving as president and CEO of other two production companies-one of which produced, financed and distributed the Academy Award-winning The Trip to Bountiful and Kiss of the Spider Woman. He has also written screenplays and articles for scholarly journals.

“Dr. Grogg joins the University with a vast experience in film and more broadly in communication,” said former Provost Luis E. Glaser in a press release.

The new dean said he is excited about working at the school but has not yet set specific projects.

“I don’t have a specific plan other than to listen to the faculty and students for the first few months,” Dr. Grogg said in a phone interview. “[During my visit] I thought the students were the strongest testimony for the strength of the program; I’m very excited by them and that’s where my priority lies.”

School of Communication professor Paul N. Lazarus has known Dr. Grogg for 25 years from the movie business. As a member of the search committee for the new dean, it was Lazarus who brought forth Dr. Grogg’s name as a candidate.

“He’s a very good man to lead us to the next level,” Lazarus said. “It takes a pretty special person to direct the eclectic mix of scholars, professionals and artists here.”

Students who are part of the School of Communication’s Dean’s Dozen met Dr. Grogg at a luncheon during his visit to campus in February.

“I’m really excited about Sam Grogg being the new dean,” Rochelle Goetz, a junior majoring in broadcast journalism, said. “I think he has a lot to offer coming from across the country, and he’ll be a great addition to the staff and will encourage more communication between faculty and students.”

Beni Yunis, a sophomore majoring in print journalism, agreed.

“I thought he was approachable and easy to talk to,” she said. “He seemed really interested in getting to know the students.”

Dr. Grogg made regular visits to the school during the semester. He is moving to Miami with his wife and 19-year-old son over the summer.

Patricia Mazzei can be contacted at

p.mazzei@umiami.edu.

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...