Miami not in spotlight during draft weekend

After six UM football players were taken in the first round of the 2004 NFL Draft, pundits labeled 2005 to be a down year for the Hurricanes because only one player, cornerback Antrel Rolle, was expected to be taken in the first round. The critics were right, but the school was still well represented on Day One of the draft.

The Tennessee Titans had the sixth pick of the first round and were debating between Rolle and Adam “Pac-Man” Jones of West Virginia, but they elected to go with the smaller, faster Jones. Rolle went to the Arizona Cardinals two picks later.

Rolle told the Miami Herald that he is a capable returner, but the presence of Roscoe Parrish on the team kept him from getting any reps, which left the Titans uncertain of his special teams abilities.

“I love punt returns,” Rolle said. “Unfortunately, we had Roscoe this year, so I didn’t get a chance to return punts. ”

Rolle said he was still thrilled to be chosen so early and has great potential in Arizona, who will likely make Rolle its top cornerback right away.

“It’s a dream come true,” Rolle told the Herald.

Parrish ended up being taken with the 55th pick by the Buffalo Bills. The Bills chose UM tight end Kevin Everett in the third round. Frank Gore was drafted with the first pick of the third round by the San Francisco 49ers. Offensive lineman Chris Myers was taken in the sixth round by the Denver Broncos.

Eric Kalis can be contacted at

e.kalis@umiami.edu.

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he didn’t hesitat ...

1. DOLPHINS: Miami seeks revenge vs. hated, Stinkin' Jets: Dolphins host Jets Sunday with Miami ...

Notes and observations on UM’s 27-19 win against Syracuse: • A UM source said Mark Richt seemed more ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

The Miami women's tennis team split its eight matches on its second day of competition at the I ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...