Making a splash

UM divers Jenna Dreyer and Miguel Velazquez were named the women and men’s Atlantic Coast Conference Divers of the Year, respectively, this season.

These two student-athletes became the first-ever recipients selected for this coveted award at Miami in their ACC debut.

Then they prepared for the next step in a successful season: the national championships.

Dreyer, a freshman who also garnered All-American honorable mention honors for the three-meter and ten-meter platform boards, wento to South Africa to vie for a spot on her country’s national team.

The senior Velazquez, a native of Mexico City, competed in Mexico to secure a spot on its national team. As a member of the UM diving team, he earned the sixth All-American recognition of his career at the NCAA Championships.

“I was expecting him to have a meet like that,” Ableman said. “After all of the practice and repetitions, he was bound to break out at nationals.”

Larry Nolan can be contacted at l.nolan@umiami.edu.

Part four of a five-part series on UM’s defense with the start of fall camp a month away: Cornerback ...

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...