Lowe brings art to campus

Although the University of Miami is renowned for its sports and medical program, the University is also a strong advocate of the arts. Home to South Florida’s first art museum, the Lowe Art Museum is one of the most respected museums in the South Florida area.

Located on the main drive of campus, the Lowe’s exhibits and programs have a strong presence on campus and in the community. The Lowe has long provided students, professors and visitors with a wide array of visually stimulating and truly beautiful pieces of artwork.

When it opened in 1950 after receiving a gift from philanthropists Joe and Emily Lowe, the museum was found in three classrooms. Today, it is sectioned into four galleries and holds several permanent and traveling exhibitions.

Balancing the line between classic and modern art, the Lowe is the only museum to display a full exhibit of Greek, Roman and Egyptian antiquities. Set alongside Renaissance paintings, Native American artifacts and some non-traditional modern metal works, the museum offers a variety of pieces for the art enthusiast. It boasts a collection of 13,000 objects.

To increase the variety of exhibits, the Lowe has joined the Museum Loan Network, which allows exhibits from other museums and even private exhibits from art collectors take temporary residence inside the museum.

For those looking for artsy gifts, the Lowe also houses a gift shop.

Admission to the Lowe is free for University of Miami students and faculty, as well as museum members and children under age 12. Adults are $5, Student groups are $2, and senior citizens and regular students are $3.

The Lowe is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Thursday from noon to 7 p.m. and Sunday from noon to 5 p.m.

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...