Lowe brings art to campus

Although the University of Miami is renowned for its sports and medical program, the University is also a strong advocate of the arts. Home to South Florida’s first art museum, the Lowe Art Museum is one of the most respected museums in the South Florida area.

Located on the main drive of campus, the Lowe’s exhibits and programs have a strong presence on campus and in the community. The Lowe has long provided students, professors and visitors with a wide array of visually stimulating and truly beautiful pieces of artwork.

When it opened in 1950 after receiving a gift from philanthropists Joe and Emily Lowe, the museum was found in three classrooms. Today, it is sectioned into four galleries and holds several permanent and traveling exhibitions.

Balancing the line between classic and modern art, the Lowe is the only museum to display a full exhibit of Greek, Roman and Egyptian antiquities. Set alongside Renaissance paintings, Native American artifacts and some non-traditional modern metal works, the museum offers a variety of pieces for the art enthusiast. It boasts a collection of 13,000 objects.

To increase the variety of exhibits, the Lowe has joined the Museum Loan Network, which allows exhibits from other museums and even private exhibits from art collectors take temporary residence inside the museum.

For those looking for artsy gifts, the Lowe also houses a gift shop.

Admission to the Lowe is free for University of Miami students and faculty, as well as museum members and children under age 12. Adults are $5, Student groups are $2, and senior citizens and regular students are $3.

The Lowe is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Thursday from noon to 7 p.m. and Sunday from noon to 5 p.m.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...