Iron Arrow: preserving UM history, traditions

The University of Miami is steeped in history and traditions. The oldest and most sacred of these traditions is Iron Arrow Honor Society, the highest honor attained at UM.

Iron Arrow was established as a top honor society for men one month after the University opened its doors in 1926. Officially founded by nine students, the idea for a “tap society” based on Indian traditions was that of UM’s first president, Bowman Foster Ashe. The Tribe was charged with not only creating the traditions of the new University, but also preserving its history and traditions.

In 1985, the society voted to allow women. Today, Iron Arrow is the highest honor that can be bestowed upon any individual at UM. Members are chosen based on five criteria: love of alma mater, character, leadership, scholarship and humility.

The society “taps” members twice a year, during Homecoming and once in the Spring semester.

One of the unique aspects of the society is its relationship with the Seminole Indian Nation. The society was created to recognize the unique and lasting contributions that this group of Native Americans made to our community and University. Iron Arrow is an official clan of the Seminole Indian nation. Members wear traditional Seminole jackets, woven by Seminole women using small pieces of cloth.

Jason Starr contributed to this article.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...