Honor Council helps students protect academic integrity

Anxious to start their college careers, incoming freshmen often experience mixed feelings of anticipation and curiosity as they embark on a new part of life. Questions inevitably arise concerning friendships, activities, professors and, most importantly, academic expectations.

A fundamental part of UM is the Honor Code, a creed that dedicates itself to the values of integrity, honesty and respect. The Honor Code stands to protect the value of the degree that you will earn. Admission to UM is a result of hard work, high ethical standards and self-discipline. College work may become demanding, but it is crucial to remember the values with which admission to this institution was granted. A firm reliance on these values will ensure success no matter what.

By accepting a seat at this institution, each student has agreed to abide by the UM Honor Code. A copy of this code will be given to students at Orientation and can also be found in the Student Rights & Responsibilities Handbook.

The Honor Council, a student group consisting of 29 members, is charged with enforcing the Honor Code. The Honor Council has two facets: adjudication and education. Professors at the University are not required to turn in students caught violating the Honor Code to the Honor Council. However, they are encouraged to report any infractions. Side by side with adjudicating cases, the Honor Council also focuses on educating the student body, faculty and staff on issues pertaining to academic integrity.

Honor Council members will be present during Orientation to answer any questions students may have.

For more information, visit www.miami.edu/honor-council or call 305-284-5354.

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...