Greek life serves to enhance college experience

In Hollywoord films of the ’60s and ’70s, Greek life on college campuses nationwide was portrayed as one of wild parties, drunkenness and the socially elite. Erasing the stereotype of “frat boys” and “sorority girls” created by movies such as Animal House and National Lampoon has been a struggle for Greek organizations everywhere.

As time has passed, the focus of Greek organizations on campuses, including at the University of Miami, has changed. Fraternities and sororities have refocused their time and energy back to the convictions of brotherhood and sisterhood: scholarship, athletics and academic success.

Made up of a total of 27 Greek organizations, spread between four different national councils, the Greek community at UM offers a variety of opportunities to find the perfect fit. Focused on strong morals and ethics, Miami Greek life serves to enhance the lives of its participating students and those in the surrounding community.

The Miami Greek community excels in many areas. More than 85 percent of the leadership positions on campus are held by Greek-affiliated members, and 13 percent of the campus is Greek-affiliated. Included in this community are several University administratiors.

Active on campus, Greek organizations are highly visible during the academic year. Greek organizations participate in Homecoming and Greek Week, competing to raise money for designated philanthropies. In addition, individual fraternities and sororities hold philanthropic events to raise money for other causes such as The American Heart Association, the Ronald McDonald House and United Cerebral Palsy.

Being Greek is for life, and with it comes long-lasting ties, memories and experiences, combined with efforts for high scholarship, close relations with alumni, and strong campus and community participation.

Recruitment for Greek life begins with the Fall semester begins, formulated so that new and returning students have access to learning about each of the different Greek organizations on campus. Packets received in the summer to sign up for recruitment does not obligate a student to join a fraternity or sorority.

Michael Johnston contributed to this article.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Five of the greatest football players of all time were inducted into the Miami Hurricanes Ring of Ho ...

View photos from the Georgia Tech at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Mia ...

Darrell Langham's miraculous 28-yard catch set up Michael Badgley's game-winning field goa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play Sunday evening at the 2017 Oracle/ITA ...

The University of Miami women's rowing team opened the fall portion of its 2017-18 schedule on ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami volleyball team demonstrated skill on both sides of the ball Sunday, sweepin ...