First Impression sits down with tennis’ Megan Bradley

Our Chris Hamilton sat down with former UM tennis player Megan Bradley, who ranked No. 1 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association poll.

First Impression: What was it like when you won the Indoor Championship last year?

Megan Bradley: To know that I won a National Championship is pretty amazing.

FI: Was there ever a time when you thought about quitting tennis?

MB: Oh yeah. Especially when I was little.

FI: Have you ever considered starting your own fashion line like Venus and Serena?

MB: I can’t even get my own clothes to match, let alone subjecting other people to wear it.

FI: You went to school and UCLA and now Miami. Which city has the better nightlife?

MB: L.A. Sunset Strip is much more accessible. South Beach is nice, but not quite the same.

FI: Do you think tennis has a steroid problem?

MB: No. You don’t need to be big and strong in tennis. Endurance is much more important.

FI: What would happen if the best pro women’s players played the worst men’s pro player?

MB: The man would win. They serve a lot faster, and the game is quicker.

FI: Do tennis shirts have a secret compartment to store extra balls or where do they come from?

MB: [Laughs] We have spandex under our skirts and we usually just stick them up there. It’s not like the balls appear like magic or anything.

FI: Which is a better feeling, serving an ace or acing a test?

MB: Serving an ace because you’re doing it to someone else. You can’t really go up to a teacher and be like, “Hey! I aced your test.”

FI: What’s the deal with the noises women make when they hit the ball?

MB: [Laughs] It’s an exhale. When you swing back and hit the ball you kind of make a grunting noise. Sometimes it gets pretty loud.

Chris Hamilton can be reached at

c.hamilton2@umiami.edu.

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...