Fashion is on the map

For those of you oblivious to the growing popularity of Miami’s serious ability to cater to food, fashion and nightlife: Pay attention. Much like cities across the country, Miami hosts several festivals and too-big-not-to-be-noticed events. Mark these down on the calendar; they should not be missed.

Funkshion

Fall and Spring

A seven-day set of festivities combining fashion and music, Funkshion is one of the rising fashion weeks of America. Rising designers pick their own music, sponsors give freebies and celebrities are abundant.

www.funkshion.com

Miami Spice Month

August is Miami Spice Month, a celebration that allows dinner guests to feast on five-star meals at a slightly more affordable price. To be exact, participating restaurants serve up gourmet lunches and dinners for $20.05 and $30.05, respectively. Miami Spice adds an extra kick to the food scene. In its fourth year, Spanish restaurant Campo Viejo is this year’s sponsor, promising some excellent events.

www.miamirestaurantmonth.com

Calle Ocho Festival

One of the largest outdoor street festivals in the country, the Calle Ocho festival is seeped in Cuban and Hispanic culture. Enjoy the sights and smells of Spanish flavor at its best and participate in the dancing-in-the-streets festival, which typically takes place in March. It is an experience one will never forget.

www.carnavalmiami.com

MTV Video Music Awards

Although this actually a one-night event, MTV and the celebrities who attend add some extra oomph to the nightlife with street parties, exclusive VIP lists, and the event itself make this a festival-caliber event. For the second year in a row, Miami will open its arms to the plethora of celebrities and the wild antics of the award show.

www.mtv.com

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...