Business peer counseling helps freshmen

The University of Miami’s Business School successfully creates an environment conducive for learning through its peer counseling program.

The program started at UM 15 years ago with just 12 peer advisors. Today, it has grown to include more than 70 peer counselors, including 10 team leaders that have created a hierarchy resulting in better relationships, increased retention among freshmen and academic achievement for those in the program.

An application and interview process begins in the Spring semester to find the most qualified and enthusiastic potential peer advisors. Over the summer, each peer counselor is paired with incoming freshmen who have declared a major or interest in the School of Business. The relationship then begins by phone and email contact so that freshmen are able to step on campus in August already knowing someone they can turn to and ask questions as they settle into life at Miami.

“The new freshmen greatly benefit by having an experienced Business student as a resource to guide them and answer their questions student to student about classes, exams and a myriad of situations, not only academics,” said Karen Donno, Academic Advisor in the School of Business. “The Peer Counselors are trained to direct freshmen to the resources and campus organizations that will assist them in a smooth transition and a successful college experience.”

Students involved in the program as peer counselors attest to the impact their own peer counselor had during their freshman year.

“Having a peer counselor when I was a freshman was a huge help to me and I know how important it was for me to have someone to talk to whenever I wasn’t sure of something. I want to be able to contribute to that and to continue helping freshman make their transition into college,” said sophomore peer counselor Callie Tomasso.

The peer counseling program has been so successful that other schools on the campus have patterned similar programs after the Business school’s outstanding advising method. Peer advising makes for an easier and systematic way of ensuring that each student’s individual needs are met and that their questions do not go unanswered. Ultimately, this allows students in the Business school to achieve more and become involved students who are concerned with their fellow peers’ triumphs as well.

“The program is successful because of the closeness of the business school admissions faculty and student bodies,” Tomasso explained. “Everyone is so friendly and ready and willing to help.”

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at

s.arnold@umiami.edu.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...