Catapillar Silk rocks Battle of the Bands

The popular UM funk quartet Catapillar Silk emerged victorious over five other bands in Friday night’s first Battle of the Bands at the Rat.

The winning band, composed of lead singer Charles W. Pebler, guitarist Jordan Davidson, bassist Eric England and drummer Jon Lazar, was elated with its win as band members hugged friends after their encore performance.

“I feel good. [We won because] we love each other the most,” Pebler said, attributing his band’s success to its newfound cohesiveness.

According to Molly Matthieson, one of the evening’s judges, the band stood out compared to its competition because of their evolution since the loss of one of their members.

“They also had the ability to bring a lot of their fans,” Mattheison added. “Everyone was excited when they came onstage, but [the band]kept it mellow to have a good time.”

As an amalgam of funk, hip-hop and soul, Catapillar Silk’s sound exuded their chill nature. As they played, band members often seemed to space out, closing their eyes and bobbing their heads while lead singer Pebler howled.

Although amateur bands often suffer from unintelligible lead vocals due to overpowering instruments, Catapillar Silk’s backing members seemed to defer to Pebler’s voice when he sang. However, they did have their chance at the spotlight in swells of increased decibels as they took advantage of available volume during vocals-free moments.

“The event was a complete success,” said Mike Weinflash, senior, an M.C. of the evening as well as one of the outgoing chairs of the concert committee. “I was happy with the size of the crowd. From the beginning to end, there was not an empty seat in the house.”

The Hurricane Productions (HP) event featured five other bands: The Keyrats, Atlantic Skyline, The Gardies, Addicts and Storyville. The HP Concert Committee selected the six bands from an original pool of 14 after auditions. Each band played three song sets and was judged on its songs, musical performance and crowd response.

“It was difficult to choose which bands we put in play,” Weinflash said.

The evening’s lineup seemed pre-slated, with the level of talent increasing as the night progressed. Other standout acts were the female-led Addicts and groupie-beloved Storyville. Addicts’ charismatic lead singer crooned with a voice like a gooey brownie, rich and sweet and distinct from her bandmates’ playing. The obviously talented Storyville played to its band of shirt-clad groupies with earned arrogance, complete with the lead singer’s lovemaking session with his microphone.

“We thought Storyville would win because of the 16 girls wearing their T-shirts,” Davidson of Catapillar Silk said. “We didn’t expect to win.”

Expected or not, as the first-ever champion of UM’s Battle of Bands, Catapillar Silk will take a guaranteed place on a plaque in the Rat, as well as a slot on HP’s musical calendar for the 2005-2006 school year.

Catapillar Silk closed out the evening with a triumphant encore performance with a cover of Steppenwolf’s “Magic Carpet Ride,” rocking the crowd one last time.

Hannah Bae cane be contacted at h.bae@umiami.edu.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...