Briefs – TRACK AND FIELD

Women’s Track & Field

Senior All-American Charlette Greggs won both the 200-meters and 400-meters Saturday to help lead the eighth-ranked Miami women’s track and field team to the team title at ACC Outdoor Track and Field Championships in Tallahassee, Fla.

Miami recorded six individual event victories to finish with 142 points, 20 points ahead of second-place North Carolina. Miami sweeps the ACC Track and Field titles in its first year in the league. The ‘Canes won the ACC Indoor Track and Field title earlier this season.

Greggs won the 400-meters with a time of 52.08, the fastest time by a collegian and the fifth-fastest in the world this season. Greggs, the 2005 ACC Indoor champion at 400-meters, led three Hurricane runners in the top-four of the outdoor event. Sophomore All-American Ginou Etienne finished third with a time of 53.58 seconds, while senior All-American Wiande Moore placed fourth with a time of 54.62 seconds.

Greggs later won the 200-meters with a time of 23.06 seconds. Freshman All-American Lauren Austin finished sixth in the 200-meters with a time of 24.36 seconds.

Junior All-American Dominique Darden captured the 400-meter hurdles title with a time of 56.02 seconds. Darden’s winning time set an all-time ACC Conference record as well as a new meet and school record.

Darden also placed fourth in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 13.47 seconds.

Junior Melanie Schultz pulled off one of the most impressive performances of the meet, recording two school-records and two NCAA regional qualifying marks. Schultz placed fourth in the 1500-meters, posting a school-record and NCAA Regional qualifying time of 4:26.03. Schultz shattered the UM record, bettering the old mark by more than three seconds.

She later placed fifth in the 5000-meters with a school-record and NCAA Regional mark of 16:44.10. Schulz, who had never competed in the 5000-meters before Saturday, broke the old UM record by more than 12 seconds, a record that had lasted since 1990.

In the triple jump, sophomore All-American Tabia Charles placed second with a leap of 13.21 meters (43-04.25), while sophomore Amy Seward finished seventh with a mark of 12.34 meters (40-06.00).

Junior All-American India Ransom placed second in what turned out to be the 90-meter dash with a time of 10.42 seconds. The race, which was supposed to be 100-meters long, was started at the incorrect starting point. Due to time constraints the race was not re-run.

The women’s 4×100-meter relay of Charles, Moore, Darden and Ransom placed second with a time of 44.57 seconds.

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...