Briefs – TRACK AND FIELD

Women’s Track & Field

Senior All-American Charlette Greggs won both the 200-meters and 400-meters Saturday to help lead the eighth-ranked Miami women’s track and field team to the team title at ACC Outdoor Track and Field Championships in Tallahassee, Fla.

Miami recorded six individual event victories to finish with 142 points, 20 points ahead of second-place North Carolina. Miami sweeps the ACC Track and Field titles in its first year in the league. The ‘Canes won the ACC Indoor Track and Field title earlier this season.

Greggs won the 400-meters with a time of 52.08, the fastest time by a collegian and the fifth-fastest in the world this season. Greggs, the 2005 ACC Indoor champion at 400-meters, led three Hurricane runners in the top-four of the outdoor event. Sophomore All-American Ginou Etienne finished third with a time of 53.58 seconds, while senior All-American Wiande Moore placed fourth with a time of 54.62 seconds.

Greggs later won the 200-meters with a time of 23.06 seconds. Freshman All-American Lauren Austin finished sixth in the 200-meters with a time of 24.36 seconds.

Junior All-American Dominique Darden captured the 400-meter hurdles title with a time of 56.02 seconds. Darden’s winning time set an all-time ACC Conference record as well as a new meet and school record.

Darden also placed fourth in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 13.47 seconds.

Junior Melanie Schultz pulled off one of the most impressive performances of the meet, recording two school-records and two NCAA regional qualifying marks. Schultz placed fourth in the 1500-meters, posting a school-record and NCAA Regional qualifying time of 4:26.03. Schultz shattered the UM record, bettering the old mark by more than three seconds.

She later placed fifth in the 5000-meters with a school-record and NCAA Regional mark of 16:44.10. Schulz, who had never competed in the 5000-meters before Saturday, broke the old UM record by more than 12 seconds, a record that had lasted since 1990.

In the triple jump, sophomore All-American Tabia Charles placed second with a leap of 13.21 meters (43-04.25), while sophomore Amy Seward finished seventh with a mark of 12.34 meters (40-06.00).

Junior All-American India Ransom placed second in what turned out to be the 90-meter dash with a time of 10.42 seconds. The race, which was supposed to be 100-meters long, was started at the incorrect starting point. Due to time constraints the race was not re-run.

The women’s 4×100-meter relay of Charles, Moore, Darden and Ransom placed second with a time of 44.57 seconds.

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

No. 2 seed Clemson used a six-run sixth to push past seventh-seeded Miami Thursday night. ...

Kevin Arreaga was the first Cane in action on Thursday and he wasted little time punching his ticket ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...