Baseball unable to complete sweep

The University of Miami baseball team won two out of three games against conference and state rival Florida State to clinch a much-needed series victory.

The first game of the series ended in a surprise 5-3 win for the Hurricanes in front of a sold out Mark Light Field. The ‘Canes remained scoreless until the bottom of the eighth inning. Florida State’s right-handed pitcher, Brian Chambers, walked Jon Jay and Danny Valencia, creating an opportunity for Miami to edge the Seminoles’ lead.

Cesar Carrillo opened the game on the mound, having a less-than-expected performance. He lasted just six innings at pitcher, allowing three earned runs.

“He didn’t have his best game with him, but I’m not trading him for anyone, I can assure you of that,” said Head Coach Jim Morris.

With Carrillo’s unbeaten streak at stake, the ‘Canes made full use of their relief pitchers for the final three innings. Andrew Lane, Danny Gil and Chris Perez were able to hold off the Seminoles.

“Florida State is our biggest rival and part of the ACC so they aren’t getting the first win and [Carrillo’s] not getting his first loss,” Lane said. “It felt wonderful to be able to help him out.”

The Hurricanes secured the series on Saturday night by winning 5-2. Paco Figueroa started the scoring with a homerun in the first inning. It remained a ‘Canes lead until the Seminoles evened up the score at 1-1 in the top of the third. Danny Figueroa produced the second run of the game, giving the Hurricanes a one run edge. The lead was extended by Alex Garabedian’s RBI single that brought home Walter Diaz.

FSU’s final success was a home run by Daniel Wardell. At the bottom of the seventh inning, the ‘Canes concluded the scoring for the rest of the game after manufacturing two runs.

The Seminoles dominated the final game of the series and were relentless in their efforts to keep the ‘Canes from sweeping the series. Only one run was scored by Walter Diaz off of a hit by Roger Tomas in the bottom of the second. The Seminoles, however, were able to rack up 13 runs against the opponents. A grand slam by Wardell accounted for four runs alone during the fifth inning.

Ricky Orta began the game as the pitcher, walking the first two batters to initiate the scoring trend that continued throughout the remaining innings. Orta lasted four innings on the mound before Miami brought in relief pitchers Manny Miguelez, Scott Maine and John McLean.

Morris showed disappointment in the loss but recognized the overall abilities of the team and the success of the series as a whole.

“They beat us in every phase of the game. The bottom line is we didn’t play well,” Morris said. “We need to move on and start focusing on next weekend.”

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...