LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Re: “Tragedy Hits,” 4/17

I read the article in The Hurricane about Ashley Kelley. It is a very unfortunate event and I agree that some action needs to be taken. The idea of building a pedestrian bridge over U.S. 1 next to UM’s campus is also very interesting to me. You see, I am the President of AIAS (American Institute of Architecture Students) and I am hoping there might be something that we can do to help.

I would like to organize a design competition open to architecture students, looking for designs of a pedestrian bridge. The aim of the competition isn’t necessarily to come up with a winning design for the actual bridge, but it could serve to inspire the community in the hopes of one day building something. Please let me know if there is anyone else I can contact in this matter, or if you can give me any more information. I think it would be a great event for the UM community and one step in making a positive change to this situation.

Thank you,

Chris Glapinski

AIAS President

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...