LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Re: “Tragedy Hits,” 4/17

I read the article in The Hurricane about Ashley Kelley. It is a very unfortunate event and I agree that some action needs to be taken. The idea of building a pedestrian bridge over U.S. 1 next to UM’s campus is also very interesting to me. You see, I am the President of AIAS (American Institute of Architecture Students) and I am hoping there might be something that we can do to help.

I would like to organize a design competition open to architecture students, looking for designs of a pedestrian bridge. The aim of the competition isn’t necessarily to come up with a winning design for the actual bridge, but it could serve to inspire the community in the hopes of one day building something. Please let me know if there is anyone else I can contact in this matter, or if you can give me any more information. I think it would be a great event for the UM community and one step in making a positive change to this situation.

Thank you,

Chris Glapinski

AIAS President

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...