Alleged sexual battery reported at house

An alleged sexual battery is part of the ongoing investigation of the Epsilon Omega Chapter of the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity at UM, police said.

The incident was reported to the Coral Gables Police Department on Saturday, March 26, and allegedly took place early that morning. Later that week, the University suspended the fraternity indefinitely pending an investigation.

According to Community Affairs Officer Martin Barros, the alleged sexual battery at 5900 San Amaro Drive-the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity house-involved two UM students. Police have interviewed the victim, witnesses and alleged perpetrator and are waiting for the results of a toxicology report to send the investigation to the state attorney’s office to see if any further action needs to be taken.

Kip Zurcher, chief operating officer of the national Lambda Chi Alpha headquarters, said the alleged sexual battery was a part of the headquarters’ investigation of the UM chapter.

“The chapter had an event of the house-a small gathering-and we heard allegations of a violation of conduct,” Zurcher said. “We’re sensitive to the police report and understanding of the gravity of it.”

A battery occurs “when a person actually and intentionally touches or strikes another person” or “when a person intentionally causes bodily harm to another person,” according to Florida statutes.

Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president of Student Affairs, said the University does not comment on pending investigations.

Zurcher also said the headquarters has concluded its investigation after working closely with students, alumni and the Dean of Students office. As of press time Wednesday, Zurcher said a response from the Lambda Chi Alpha national Board of Directors was expected by the end of the week.

“We want to be sure we’re providing a safe environment for the students,” Zurcher said. “That’s our top concern.”

Patricia Mazzei can be contacted at pmazzei@miami.edu.

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

No. 2 seed Clemson used a six-run sixth to push past seventh-seeded Miami Thursday night. ...

Kevin Arreaga was the first Cane in action on Thursday and he wasted little time punching his ticket ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...