Alleged sexual battery reported at house

An alleged sexual battery is part of the ongoing investigation of the Epsilon Omega Chapter of the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity at UM, police said.

The incident was reported to the Coral Gables Police Department on Saturday, March 26, and allegedly took place early that morning. Later that week, the University suspended the fraternity indefinitely pending an investigation.

According to Community Affairs Officer Martin Barros, the alleged sexual battery at 5900 San Amaro Drive-the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity house-involved two UM students. Police have interviewed the victim, witnesses and alleged perpetrator and are waiting for the results of a toxicology report to send the investigation to the state attorney’s office to see if any further action needs to be taken.

Kip Zurcher, chief operating officer of the national Lambda Chi Alpha headquarters, said the alleged sexual battery was a part of the headquarters’ investigation of the UM chapter.

“The chapter had an event of the house-a small gathering-and we heard allegations of a violation of conduct,” Zurcher said. “We’re sensitive to the police report and understanding of the gravity of it.”

A battery occurs “when a person actually and intentionally touches or strikes another person” or “when a person intentionally causes bodily harm to another person,” according to Florida statutes.

Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president of Student Affairs, said the University does not comment on pending investigations.

Zurcher also said the headquarters has concluded its investigation after working closely with students, alumni and the Dean of Students office. As of press time Wednesday, Zurcher said a response from the Lambda Chi Alpha national Board of Directors was expected by the end of the week.

“We want to be sure we’re providing a safe environment for the students,” Zurcher said. “That’s our top concern.”

Patricia Mazzei can be contacted at pmazzei@miami.edu.

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...