Provost candidates visiting campus

Three candidates are being interviewed for provost of the University, with the position expected to be announced next week.

The new provost will replace Dr. Luis Glaser, who announced last Fall that he would step down from his post as head of students’ academic affairs and chief budget officer after 18 years.

Two of the candidates have already visited campus, meeting with various administrators and student representatives. The third is scheduled to visit today and meet with students this afternoon.

Dr. Mark Thiemens, currently dean of the division of physical sciences at the University of California, San Diego, visited earlier this month, said Dr. Rene Sacasas, professor and chairman of the Department of Business Law. Dr. Margaret Crosbie-Burnett, chairperson for educational and psychological studies at the School of Education, confirmed the candidate. Both are members of the provost selection committee. Dr. Martin Moskovits, dean of the division of mathematical and physical sciences at the College of Letters and Sciences at the University of California, Santa Barbara, was on campus last week, Dr. Crosbie-Burnett said.

The third candidate’s name was not released to The Hurricane by press time Sunday. According to Dr. Crosbie-Burnett, his name would be released when he was in-flight to the University on Monday night.

Dr. Thiemens received his B.S. degree from UM in 1972 and his Ph.D. in chemical oceanography from Florida State University in 1977. He has been at his current post since Fall 2000.

Dr. Moskovits received his B.S. in physics and chemistry degree from the University of Toronto in 1965 and his Ph.D. in chemistry from the same institution in 1971. He has also been at his current post since Fall 2000.

According to Dr. Crosbie-Burnett, the University hired Korn/Ferry International headhunters before Winter Break to find candidates for the position. The provost selection committee, which comprises 16 deans and professors and one student representative, then sifted through r

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...