Provost candidates visiting campus

Three candidates are being interviewed for provost of the University, with the position expected to be announced next week.

The new provost will replace Dr. Luis Glaser, who announced last Fall that he would step down from his post as head of students’ academic affairs and chief budget officer after 18 years.

Two of the candidates have already visited campus, meeting with various administrators and student representatives. The third is scheduled to visit today and meet with students this afternoon.

Dr. Mark Thiemens, currently dean of the division of physical sciences at the University of California, San Diego, visited earlier this month, said Dr. Rene Sacasas, professor and chairman of the Department of Business Law. Dr. Margaret Crosbie-Burnett, chairperson for educational and psychological studies at the School of Education, confirmed the candidate. Both are members of the provost selection committee. Dr. Martin Moskovits, dean of the division of mathematical and physical sciences at the College of Letters and Sciences at the University of California, Santa Barbara, was on campus last week, Dr. Crosbie-Burnett said.

The third candidate’s name was not released to The Hurricane by press time Sunday. According to Dr. Crosbie-Burnett, his name would be released when he was in-flight to the University on Monday night.

Dr. Thiemens received his B.S. degree from UM in 1972 and his Ph.D. in chemical oceanography from Florida State University in 1977. He has been at his current post since Fall 2000.

Dr. Moskovits received his B.S. in physics and chemistry degree from the University of Toronto in 1965 and his Ph.D. in chemistry from the same institution in 1971. He has also been at his current post since Fall 2000.

According to Dr. Crosbie-Burnett, the University hired Korn/Ferry International headhunters before Winter Break to find candidates for the position. The provost selection committee, which comprises 16 deans and professors and one student representative, then sifted through r

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...