It’s go time for tennis teams

The Atlantic Coast Conference Championships will not only prove to be a battleground for the men and women of Miami tennis, but a chance for redemption. As each approaches the end of its seasons, the tournament will be the final opportunity for dominance for the women and respect for the men.

The women outplayed each ACC stronghold except for the last match of their season when they fell to Georgia Tech 4-3, the team’s first loss in conference play, dropping its overall record to 18-3 and 9-1 in the ACC. After their loss the ‘Canes have a definite chance to upset teams as they have done before. Leading the women are seniors Megan Bradley and Staci Stevens, who will be integral in the success of the team.

“I believe we’ve had the most success this season than any other time in my four years here, so I think we have a good chance of winning the ACC Championship,” Stevens said.

Bradley, ranked No.1 in the ITA rankings, gives the Hurricanes a major edge over other teams in the ACC.

“We are very excited to go to the ACC Championships. Our goal is to win it,” said Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk. “It’s going to be a tough tournament there is a lot of competition in the ACC. There’s possibly three teams that can bring home the title, but we just have to be better than them.”

For the men, the ACC Championships is not just another competition but an opportunity to take back what they gave up during the season, a couple of close 4-3 matches that didn’t go in their favor. Looking forward to their upcoming play, the men need more than desire to win; they must have a real competitive drive.

“We are looking forward to play in the ACC Championships,” said Head Coach Mario Rincon. “This season we had a lot of games that could have gone either way but we lost it. We need to capitalize on our opponents because we have nothing to lose and they do.”

Among these upsetting defeats were the losses to Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Duke and Virginia. Though most of these matches were close, the lack of the follow through in the singles matches and the need to clinch the doubles point decided the outcomes.

Improvement in these aspects will lead the men to better play.

“I really think we have a good chance to come back on the teams that beat us. The ACC Championships gives us this chance and we are going to take it,” sophomore Josh Cohen said.

The ACC Championships for both the men and women will be held in Cary, N.C., beginning Thursday.

“The most important part of our season is just ahead of us,” said junior Eric Hechtman. “It’s going to be three days of tough play, and we are going to have to play even better tennis.”

Antoinette Cordova can be contacted at a.cordova1@umiami.edu.

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

No. 2 seed Clemson used a six-run sixth to push past seventh-seeded Miami Thursday night. ...

Kevin Arreaga was the first Cane in action on Thursday and he wasted little time punching his ticket ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...