Briefs – TENNIS * BASKETBALL

Men’s Tennis

After dropping all three doubles matches, the University of Miami men’s tennis team could not bounce back, falling in four of six singles matches in a 5-2 loss to No. 22 Florida State in UM’s regular-season finale Friday evening.

The Hurricanes (11-10, 2-8 ACC) fell early to the Seminoles (16-6, 7-2 ACC), as FSU swept all three doubles matches to clinch the doubles point, taking a 1-0 lead into singles.

In singles, FSU’s Chip Webb downed UM’s Vivek Subramanian, 6-3, 6-3, on the No. 6 court just before the Hurricanes’ Eric Hechtman fell to Ytai Abougzir, 7-5, 6-1, in the No. 2 slot.

With the ‘Noles within one point of the match-clincher, UM’s Josh Cohen -who is ranked 120th nationally in singles-upset 32nd-ranked Mat Cloer, 6-4, 7-5, at the No. 1 spot to give the Hurricanes their first point of the evening.

The Seminoles’ Sam Chang clinched the match on the No. 5 court, downing Ryan Waits, 7-5, 6-3.

The Hurricanes’ Tim Krebs earned Miami’s final point of the match with a 3-6, 6-3, 6-2, victory over Jonathas Sucupira at No. 3.

The Hurricanes will return to action Thursday when they head to Cary, N.C., to take part in the 2005 ACC Men’s Tennis Championships.

Men’s Basketball

University of Miami basketball Head Coach Frank Haith announced Friday that freshman guard Antoine Mayhand has decided to leave the team and will not rejoin the Hurricanes next season.

Mayhand has been granted his release from the University and is eligible to transfer to another institution.

“Antoine [Mayhand] has decided to transfer from the University of Miami and we have granted him his release,” said Haith. “Although we are disappointed in his decision, we appreciate all his effort this season and wish him the best of luck in the future.”

Mayhand (6-2, 200) played in 20 games this season averaging 0.8 points and 0.5 rebounds in 5.7 minutes per game.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...