Briefs – TENNIS * BASKETBALL

Men’s Tennis

After dropping all three doubles matches, the University of Miami men’s tennis team could not bounce back, falling in four of six singles matches in a 5-2 loss to No. 22 Florida State in UM’s regular-season finale Friday evening.

The Hurricanes (11-10, 2-8 ACC) fell early to the Seminoles (16-6, 7-2 ACC), as FSU swept all three doubles matches to clinch the doubles point, taking a 1-0 lead into singles.

In singles, FSU’s Chip Webb downed UM’s Vivek Subramanian, 6-3, 6-3, on the No. 6 court just before the Hurricanes’ Eric Hechtman fell to Ytai Abougzir, 7-5, 6-1, in the No. 2 slot.

With the ‘Noles within one point of the match-clincher, UM’s Josh Cohen -who is ranked 120th nationally in singles-upset 32nd-ranked Mat Cloer, 6-4, 7-5, at the No. 1 spot to give the Hurricanes their first point of the evening.

The Seminoles’ Sam Chang clinched the match on the No. 5 court, downing Ryan Waits, 7-5, 6-3.

The Hurricanes’ Tim Krebs earned Miami’s final point of the match with a 3-6, 6-3, 6-2, victory over Jonathas Sucupira at No. 3.

The Hurricanes will return to action Thursday when they head to Cary, N.C., to take part in the 2005 ACC Men’s Tennis Championships.

Men’s Basketball

University of Miami basketball Head Coach Frank Haith announced Friday that freshman guard Antoine Mayhand has decided to leave the team and will not rejoin the Hurricanes next season.

Mayhand has been granted his release from the University and is eligible to transfer to another institution.

“Antoine [Mayhand] has decided to transfer from the University of Miami and we have granted him his release,” said Haith. “Although we are disappointed in his decision, we appreciate all his effort this season and wish him the best of luck in the future.”

Mayhand (6-2, 200) played in 20 games this season averaging 0.8 points and 0.5 rebounds in 5.7 minutes per game.

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...